Another salad day, and it’s one of my favorites. I’m sharing the Ultimate Tuna Salad Recipe, like really the one and only tuna salad you’ll make. I freshened it up with a zesty tangy olive dill dressing and it took my tuna salad to a whole new level. Plus I loaded it with kale, avocados, corn, apples, red onions, eggs and more olives—it’s the kind of salad plate that you can never get enough of 🙂
YES for some fresh Spring recipes finally!! And what better way to get things going other than a salad, better off a tuna salad recipe! As soon as the weather started being kind to us, we went back to our happy salad meal days. That’s not to say I’ve forgotten my happy soup days because guess what— just so you know, I’ve still got a couple of soups coming up. Lighter, fresher and super intriguing soups I should say 😉 So stay tuned for that.
Now back to our crazy delicious tuna salad recipe. Did you read my funny tuna affair when I posted this awesome spicy chunky tuna sandwich? They’re seriously so good and they were like my gateway to love tuna, make tuna sandwiches and tuna salad..plus they made my hubby (aka the ultimate tuna lover) super happy! So this tuna salad is similar in the sense that it’s not a mayo tuna mush. It’s a chunky flavorful tuna, like where you actually know, taste and feel like you’re eating tuna 🙂 And that’s the bottom line reason for it’s deliciousness! If you’ve never had a chance to try that, please please please make this tuna salad today and taste the difference!
I’ll lure you a bit more, because it’s absolutely worth it 🙂 You know what, a long time ago I was quite iffy about tuna. My husband used to ask and ask me to make him anything tuna, and I never did. I never actually gave him reasons because I know how much he loved his tuna. At some point when someone used to compliment him about my cooking, he would say something like—she only makes the food that she loves. And I knew he meant the tuna lol But the good news is, I wasn’t at a point in life where I’d be offended. I was actually at a point in life where I wanted to impress him and wanted to really make killer tuna sandwiches and tuna salad so he would think I’m a rockstar lol And I worked really hard to reach a point where I can sit and dream of tuna salad, tuna pasta, tuna sandwiches, tuna flatbreads…tuna everything!
Quick How To :
Back to the tuna salad recipe and the goodness it packs. I start off by making a flavor packed dressing/sauce to infuse my salad and tuna. It’s a base of finely chopped red or green onions, green olives (the ones packed in red chilli and spice are the best!), grainy honey mustard, capers, lemon juice, minced jalapeños,olives oil, herbs herbs and plenty of herbs! This sauce is like MAGIC, pure flavor goodness. I drain my tuna and pour a bit of that sauce over it and let it sit there for a few minutes to soak it up. And I chop all my salad ingredients and toss it with a bit of the sauce too. Then I assemble the salad with the tuna and drizzle more of the sauce on top. Pure Tuna Salad Love.
To me that’s exactly what tuna salad should be. Compare that to a mush of tuna and mayo with a pinch of salt and you’ll be totally hooked. I really hope you try this recipe—for me it was a life changing attitude towards tuna and I know for sure you’ll enjoy it!! 🙂
- Salad Ingredients:
- 3 cups of chopped kale (or mixed greens)
- 2 small apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1-2 avocados, thinly sliced
- a handful of halved cherry tomatoes, about 1 cup
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1¼ cup of cooked corn (or canned)
- ⅔ cup of green olives
- 3 (or more) hard boiled eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of capers
- Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup of minced red onions
- 2 scallions, minced
- ¼ cup of minced green onions (any type, but the olives packed in chilli is best)
- 3 Tablespoons of grainy honey mustard ( or grainy mustard and 1 tablespoon of honey)
- 1 tablespoons of minced capers
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Juice of 1 large lemon (or 2 small ones)
- ¼ cup of finely minced herbs ( a mixture of cilantro, parsley and mostly dill)
- ½ cup -2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil (flavored olive oil works too)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 2 - 3 cans of tuna, drained if applicable and left whole as is
- Prepare your salad ingredient and place them in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the sauce and drizzle of the chunks of tuna and set aside.
- Take another 3 Tablespoons of sauce (more or less to taste) and toss it with the salad ingredients.
- Arrange the salad ingredients on the plate, I’ve clumped each ingredient separately with the greens at the bottom of the bowl.
- Then top the tuna over the salad and drizzle more sauce on top. Serve the salad and enjoy 🙂