A Middle Eastern feast of spiced Chicken Shawarma drizzled with a creamy Tahini Sauce and a zesty and spicy Harissa Sauce – all served on naan bread together with a refreshing tomato feta salad.
Here’s a fresh, zesty, spicy and flavor-packed start to your Summer: A loaded Chicken Shawarma Platter with Tahini sauce, Harissa Sauce and Feta Tomato Salad. While I had to roast the chicken in the oven today, I can’t wait for summer to pop this onto the grill!
Oh, how I wish I could have a BBQ right now. I’m too anxious for Summer and for my grill to fire up! Today’s chicken shawarma platter certainly put me in that mood.
Why you need to make this Chicken Shawarma Platter:
This Chicken Shawarma Platter is a real FEAST! Juicy, spiced chicken shawarma served on oven-warm naan bread with different Middle Eastern sauces and a refreshing tomato feta salad! Everyone can pick and choose their favourite parts of the chicken and can dip the tender meat into the sauces or top them with some salad! The perfect fun chicken dinner for sharing with a group of friends.
I almost always use chicken drumsticks because my kids like them! So this chicken shawarma platter comes is perfect to make everyone in my family happy. Us adults love the spice. Kids don’t. So I’ll take away any spice from the chicken, but make a fresh Harissa style chilli sauce to dip the chicken in. Now everyone’s happy 🙂
How to make this Chicken Shawarma Platter:
Let’s break it down. Starting off with the sauces, I’ve got my one and only HIT Perfect Tahini Sauce recipe. This luscious thick creamy, zesty and creamy delicious sauce pairs beautifully with anything!
Similarly, the Harissa chilli sauce which I’ve also made in this Spicy Harissa Lamb Shoulder Chunks In Pita Cones with Tahini Sauce. Another HIT recipe you can NOT miss! Honestly. Don’t miss it. Plus this Lentil Fall Harvest Buddha Bowl and the Speedy Quinoa Tabouleh with Tahini Dressing.
The tomato feta salad you see here is very similar to the Italian Caprese salad in concept. Tomatoes, herb and cheese. The difference is that it’s drizzled with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice instead of Balsamic like the Italian Caprese.
Let’s talk chicken shawarma. I believe it’s quite obvious by now that I like drumsticks. But you can certainly use any other piece of chicken, preferably bone-in for maximum flavor.
The spice blend is all pureed in a food processor and rubbed over the chicken. The best part is, you don’t need to wait for the chicken to marinade since the spice blend has lots and lots of flavor!
Grill or roast the chicken shawarma and during that time, prepare the tomato feta salad, and sauces. Then assemble the platter with fresh parsley and mint, some lemon slices, grilled naan bread, sliced onions, avocado slices, fresh green chillies, you name it!
At this point, really, all you need is good company and you can DIG IN! Enjoy this Chicken Shawarma Platter as it is, pair it with fries, rice or just the bread. It’s PURE deliciousness! Don’t forget to tag me when you make this chicken shawarma platter so I can woohoo you! 🙂
Tips for success:
- For my chicken shawarma, I like to use drumsticks, but feel free to swap them for any other piece of chicken you enjoy.
- For the Harissa Sauce, choose your chillies according to the spice level you want your sauce at.
Chicken Shawarma Platter with Tahini Sauce
A Middle Eastern feast of spiced Chicken Shawarma drizzled with a creamy Tahini Sauce, a zesty and spicy Harissa Sauce - all served on naan bread together with a refreshing tomato feta salad.
For the Chicken:
- 1 whole chicken cut up into 8 pieces or 12 pieces of drumsticks or your favorite bone in pieces--about 3-4 pounds
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs parsley, cilantro and mint
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt and pepper, each more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Fresh Harissa Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh hot chili any type any color, any spice level you prefer, washed and stems removed
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
Tomato Feta Salad:
- 1 large steakhouse tomato finely diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- Grilled naan bread
- sliced avocado
- lemon slices
- fresh herbs
- onion slices
- sliced tomatoes
For the chicken:
Preheat the oven to 420 degrees or the grill to medium-high heat. For the Chicken, place all ingredients (except the chicken) in a food processor and puree until smooth.
Rub the chicken pieces well with the spice mixture going under the skin too. Roast the chicken or grill until done, anywhere between 35-45 minutes (depending on the cuts).
For the Harissa Sauce:
- In the meantime make the sauces and salad. Prepare the Harissa sauce by blending all ingredients together. Set aside.
For the Tahini Sauce:
- Prepare the Tahini Sauce by adding the tahini paste in a bowl and whisk it with the water until it turns lighter in color and almost like a hard paste. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk to blend. If the sauce looks too thick for your taste, add a tablespoon of extra water. If it’s too runny for your taste, add a tablespoon of extra tahini paste. Taste salt and adjust seasoning.
For the salad:
Toss all ingredients everything together, season.
- Assemble the chicken shawarma platter by layering some grilled naan bread at the bottom of the platter. Arrange the chicken, sauces, salad, and toppings around it, sprinkle extra herbs and serve right away! Enjoy 🙂