Here’s a fresh, zesty, spicy and flavor packed start to your Summer platters. A loaded Chicken Shawarma Platter with Tahini sauce, Harissa Sauce and Feta Tomato Salad. While I had to roast the chicken today, I can’t wait for summer to pop this on the grill! It’s absolutely the best way to grill whole chicken pieces. I would probably add grilled tomatoes, asparagus and onions alongside for some veggie boost too. You can’t go wrong seriously, and it all boils down to the flavor packed spice mix!
Oh how I wish I could grill right now. I’m too anxious for Summer and for my BBQ to fire up! Today’s chicken shawarma platter certainly put me in that mood. So while I had to roast the chicken, it was still pure YUM! I feel like when I spice up my chicken pieces with shawarma spice, I prefer it over shreds of chicken. So as unusual as it may sound to you, these chicken shawarma drumsticks (or any bone in piece of chicken) are SO delicious!
I almost always use drumsticks because, well you know the story. Picky one eats this. Picky one doesn’t approve of that. I give up. There are definitely days when I resist giving up, and I make myself a meal that I know I want. And I tell myself I’ll enjoy it regardless of who ate it with me and who didn’t. At the end, I shamefully admit that I do enjoy it! It’s like a day at the spa. You don’t need the whole family to enjoy it with you! lol
Then, there are the other days which are most of the days. I think back n forth how and what to fix up for everyone to enjoy their dinner. So the chicken shawarma platter comes to the rescue. For example, the adults love the spice. Kids don’t. So I’ll take away any spice form the chicken, but make a fresh Harissa style chilli sauce to dip the chicken in. Now everyone’s happy 🙂
Before I get into the details of this fabulous platter, I have to say that as much as I loved food all my life, I’ve been appreciating it much more lately. Do you remember Ali–my friend’s son who is struggling with Crohn’s disease–I mentioned him in this Shrimp Salad Recipe with Lentils Avocados and Shallot Vinaigrette. He’s been hospitalized for a while now again.
And while food isn’t his enemy, it feels like it is. So the fluctuation between feeling super hungry combined with a GI tract that’s affected by the disease, yet still craving all sorts of foods to eat, is plain painful. In the big picture, this is the tiniest of his worries so I’m not concluding the disease is just about that. But sometimes we take the tiniest things in life for granted. Ok final thought, please keep Ali in your prayers 🙂 Thank you!!
Alright. Chicken shawarma platter. Let’s break it down. Starting off with the sauces, I’ve got my one and only HIT Perfect Tahini Sauce recipe (with hideous photography I have to add! lol). This luscious thick creamy, zesty and dreamy delicious sauce pairs beautifully with anything! Similarly the Harissa chilli sauce which I’ve also made in this Spicy Harissa Lamb Shoulder Chunks In Pita Cones with Tahini Sauce. Another HIT recipe you can NOT miss! Honestly. Don’t miss it. Plus this Lentil Fall Harvest Buddha Bowl and the Speedy Quinoa Tabouleh with Tahini Dressing.
The tomato feta salad you see here is very similar to the Italian Caprese salad in concept. Tomatoes, herb and cheese. Likewise, it’s drizzled with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice instead of Balsamic like the Italian Caprese. Another salad I want to mention, away from the chicken shawarma platter is this Bread Feta Salad with Figs. You can swap the tomatoes for the figs and add chunks of bread to make it more of a hearty salad, so check it out too!
Now for the chicken. I believe it’s quite obvious by now my choice for drumsticks. But you can certainly use any other piece of chicken–I prefer bone in for maximum flavor. The spice blend is all pureed in a food processor and rubbed over the chicken. The best part is, you don’t need to wait for the chicken to marinade since it’s loaded with lots and lots of flavor! Grill or roast the chicken and during that time, prepare the salad, and sauces. Then assemble the platter with fresh parsley and mont, some lemon slices, grilled naan bread, sliced onions, avocado slices, fresh green chillies, you name it!
At this point, really, all you need is good company and DIG IN! Enjoy this as it is, pair it with fries, rice or just the bread. It’s PURE deliciousness! Don’t forget to tag me when you make this chicken shawarma platter so I can wooohoo you! 🙂
Chicken Shawarma Platter with Tahini Sauce
Here's a fresh, zesty, spicy and flavor packed start to your Summer platters. A loaded Chicken Shawarma Platter with Tahini sauce, Harissa Sauce and Feta Tomato Salad. While I had to roast the chicken today, I can't wait for summer to pop this on the grill! It's absolutely the best way to grill whole chicken pieces. I would probably add grilled tomatoes, asparagus and onions alongside for some veggie boost too. You can't go wrong seriously, and it all boils down to the flavor packed spice mix!
For the Chicken:
- 1 whole chicken cut up into 8 pieces or 12 pieces of drumsticks or your favorite bone in pieces--about 3-4 pounds
- 1/2 a red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of mixed herbs --parsley cilantro and mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coirander
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of salt and Black pepper each more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
Fresh Harissa Sauce:
- 2 cups of fresh hot chilli any type any color, any spice level you prefer, washed and stems removed
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of tahini paste sesame paste
- 2 tablespoons of water
- juice of a huge lime about 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
Tomato Feta Salad:
- 1 large steakhouse tomato finely diced
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mont leaves chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Grilled naan bread
- sliced avocado
- lemon slices
- fresh herbs
- onion slices
- sliced tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees or the grill to medium high heat. For the Chicken, place all ingredients (except the chicken) in a food processor and puree until smooth. Rub the chicken pieces well with the spice mixture going under the skin too. Roast the chicken or grill until done--anywhere between 35-45 minutes (depending on the cuts).
- In the meantime make the sauces and salad. Prepare the Harissa sauce by blending all ingredients together. Set aside.
- Prepare the Tahini Sauce by adding the tahini paste in a bowl and whisk it with the water until it tuns lighter in color and almost like a hard paste. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk to blend. If the sauce looks too thick for your taste, add a tablespoon of extra water. If it’s too runny for your taste, add a tablespoon of extra tahini paste. Taste salt and adjust seasoning.
- For the salad: toss everything together, season.
- Assemble the chicken shawarma platter by layering some grilled naan bread at the bottom of the platter. Arrange the chicken, sauces, salad, and toppings around it, sprinkle extra herbs and serve right away! Enjoy 🙂