When it’s your Birthday and you want a birthday pancake for breakfast, you’ve come to the right place! These Fluffy Pancakes with Birthday Sprinkles are everything they claim. They’re pancakes, they’re fluffy, they’re loaded with sprinkles, rainbow colors and they’re glazed with a cream cheese icing 🙂 While the Birthday girl and her sister enjoyed these, I have to say I did too! I guess no matter how old you’re turning, these fluffy pancakes are a treat on your special day!
Today my big girl turned nine years old. Not sure how and when this came to happen. If I closed my eyes and gave it some good thought, I would probably say it felt like four years. Maybe five, but definitely, absolutely not nine. No. And as much as I play around with my denial to admit it’s been this long, the funny thing is, she is totally up for more and more years.
If you’ve been reading the blog, you’ll probably figure out that today’s Birthday girl is the foodie one 🙂 She’s the one who loves tasting anything and everything on anyone’s plate lol So when it came to her birthday, she certainly had a menu in mind. Last year, my Mom was visiting and we had a crazy busy day with grandparents, a big day at the kids spa with her friends and lots of homemade food. We also made these Easter Colored Cake Pops for My Birthday Girl and gave them to out to friends and neighbours.
This year however, she didn’t want cake. At some point she wanted those numbered cakes that have been populating my Instagram feed, but then things changed. She wanted the perfect start to her Birthday day. And that means pancakes. Fluffy pancakes to be exact. As I think about it, I think she did the smartest thing! She put herself in the best mood ever and started her special Birthday vibe first thing in the morning 🙂
These fluffy pancakes are not your average pancakes. They’re studded with rainbow sprinkles, because sprinkles are life. And glazed with a cream cheese vanilla glaze, because it’s simply her favorite thing. They’re not thick or heavy, hence she loves stacking them up lol they’re basically the Birthday girl’s perfect wake up to her birthday! 🙂
Quick note about making pancakes. I’ve been a fan of using only baking powder on my pancakes for a while because of the extra light feel to them. However, I noticed that if your baking powder is fresh and double acting, the pancakes tend to rise really nicely, but deflate easily. It happens if you don’t flip them super carefully. It’s a plus and a minus at the same time lol. So if you’re like on of my best friends who happens to think of this fact as an extra added stress to her, I’ll say be safe and use the recipe below instead.
Likewise, if you love that extra fluffy feel and light as air texture, use the recipe in this Banana Swirl Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. And for the record, those cinnamon rolls pancakes are probably my favorite ever pancakes to date. So give them a try while you’re there! Either type of pancake you chose to make, I can guarantee they’ll taste AMAZING! So Enjoy!! 🙂
Try those fluffy pancakes with sprinkles for a special treat on your Birthday too! Happiest Birthday to my sweetest angel who changed my life forever! I can’t wait to see you grow in to the most wonderful girl the world can have! 🙂
Fluffy Pancakes With Birthday Sprinkles
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons of melted butter or neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup of Yogurt Greek or regular, any fat concentration you prefer
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla
- Rainbow sprinkles to your taste --about 3 tablespoons
- Oil for greasing the skillet as needed
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 2 ounces of room temperature softened cream cheese full fat, low fat or fat free-your preference
- 1/2 cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk any type
- Preheat a non stick skillet over medium low heat or an electric griddle. Bruch the surface with the oil and then use a tissue to gently wipe the excess oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a bigger bowl, mix the wet ingredients together and set aside.
- Take a spatula and then add the dry ingredients bowl to the wet ingredients bowl. Mix until they blend together. Avoid over mixing the batter, a few lumps are ok to remain.
- Take a 1/4 cup measuring scoop and fill it with the batter, then pour that over the preheated skillet or griddle. Wait for a few seconds until the edges start to bubble, then gently flip the pancake and cook for another 30 seconds or so until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter, oiling the skillet and swiping any excess oil after each pancake.
- Stack your pancakes in two's three's or more and glaze with the cream cheese vanilla glaze, adding extra sprinkles if you like 🙂 Enjoy!
- For the Cream Cheese Glaze: Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk them up. If the icing feels to thick, add milk a little bit at a time and whisk to make sure it doesn’t thin out. If you feel the icing is too thin, add a tablespoon of cream cheese with a tablespoon of confectioner sugar and whisk it in.For the citrus flavours, add the zest of 1 citrus of your choice and substitute the milk with the juice of that citrus.