Try this Creamy Carrot Tomato Basil Soup full of incredible flavours – naturally thickened by roasting the vegetables in the oven and pureeing them! Make this easy soup with stock for a healthy vegan lunch or use cream for an extra rich and indulgent version.
This Carrot Tomato Basil Soup is perfect for your Holiday table or just anytime you crave comfort in a bowl. This easy yet festive soup is made by first roasting sweet carrots, tomatoes, shallots, garlic and herbs, then simply blending them till smooth.
Why this recipe for Carrot Tomato Basil Soup works:
As simple as it sounds, this carrot tomato basil soup is just as luscious and comforting as can be. It’s the kind of easy soup you’ll be making again and again!
For this Carrot Tomato Basil Soup, the carrots, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, shallots are roasted with olive oil and herbs and then pureed with plenty of fresh basil until smooth. To get the perfect texture, you’ll be adding some vegetable stock to help with pureeing and turning these healthy veggies into a creamy luscious soup
For us, soup has always been a part of our Christmas Holiday table! Back when we lived in Vienna, we used to go to the Christmas Market almost daily. Since there would be so much to eat and drink at the Christmas Market, we just needed to come home and warm up from walking in the cold with a nice bowl of homemade soup.
And better yet, we paired the soup with different types of freshly baked bread from the market every day. This Carrot Tomato Basil Soup, for example, would go incredibly well with freshly baked ciabatta or baguette.
This carrot tomato basil soup is the best way to start off your Holiday meal. The best way to start off any meal, really. The roasted carrots add an incredible load of sweetness to the soup, so please don’t try to skip them if you’re not a carrot-ish person. You won’t taste a single note or hint of carrot, in fact, no one can guess it has carrots.
However, you’ll really appreciate them once you taste a sweet comforting tomato basil soup rather than a salty tangy marinara tasting tomato soup! 🙂 In case you missed that, I was trying to stress how much I don’t appreciate marinara tasting tomato soups.
This creamy tomato basil soup is NOTHING like tomato sauce. It’s just a burst of sweet creamy tomato basil taste. It’s got a nice thick velvety smooth and silky texture, which you can totally adjust to your taste.
How to make Carrot Tomato Basil Soup:
Start making the soup by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Place the tomatoes, carrots, shallots and garlic cloves on the baking sheet.
Season them with salt, pepper, oregano and fresh thyme sprigs. Drizzle the olive oil over that and toss the veggies very well to swirl the seasonings and olive oil evenly to coat. Roast the veggies for 35-40 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
Transfer the veggies into a blender along with the basil and add half the liquid you’re using.
Carefully blend the carrot tomato basil soup until smooth. Season the soup and blend it some more.
Check the seasoning and consistency of the soup and add more liquid to thin it out.
Tips for success:
- Don’t skip the carrots! You will not taste them but they add a nice sweetness and great color to this Creamy Tomato Basil Soup!
- For extra creaminess, add half stock and half cream when pureeing this tomato basil soup. Or go all the way and use cream only!
- For a vegan carrot tomato basil soup, use stock only.
Luscious Carrot Tomato Basil Soup
Try this Creamy Carrot Tomato Basil Soup full of incredible flavours - naturally thickened by roasting the vegetables in the oven and pureeing them! Make this easy soup with stock for a healthy vegan lunch or use cream for an extra rich and indulgent version.
- 10 ripe tomatoes on the vine washed and cut in half
- 1 red bell pepper dissuaded and cut up into 1 inch pieces
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced into an inch chunk pieces
- 4 shallots peeled and cut in half
- 6 slices garlic crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves (or 1/4 cup of basil pesto)
- 3 cups liquid in total--either vegetable stock or cream , or a mixture of both
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Place the tomatoes, carrots, shallots and garlic cloves on the baking sheet.
- Season them with alt, pepper, oregano and fresh thyme sprigs. Drizzle the olive oil over that and toss the veggies very well to swirl the seasonings and olive oil evenly to coat.
- Roast the veggies for 35-40 minutes until tender and slightly caramelized.
- Transfer the veggies into a blender along with the basil and add half the liquid you're using.
- Carefully blend the soup and puree till smooth. season the soup and blend it some more.
- Check the seasoning and consistency of the soup (add more liquid to thin it out).