This recipe for Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crusts is lusciously delicious, super easy, healthy and takes only 15 minutes to make! Serve it on Valentine’s Day for breakfast in bed or make it for a cozy holiday morning brunch.
Say hello to these gorgeous Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crusts! They’re lusciously delicious, super easy, healthy and need only 15 mins to make—every egg lovers’ dream come true! A must-try recipe for the Holidays and every special occasion 🙂
Why this recipe works:
Let’s talk breakfast for a minute. It’s my absolute favorite meal of the day, and it also happens to be the most important one. Even with all the Holiday prep, we don’t want breakfast/brunch to slip through the cracks. This is why these baked eggs in sweet potato crusts are my absolute favourite way to make breakfast for a crowd on special days.
These Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crust are not only PURE deliciousness, they are also a great recipe to prepare in advance. Serve them to a big crowd or enjoy them as a romantic Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed!
I love making these baked eggs with a sweet potato crust. The combo of sweet potatoes and eggs is pure LOVE for me. There’s something about that sweetness from the potatoes paired with the rich, runny egg yolks that makes this easy breakfast treat taste simply divine.
To make this Baked Eggs recipe feel extra special, I chose my cute little heart molds. The heart shaped presentation makes this the perfect recipe for a cozy weekend breakfast in bed. My favorite way to serve these luscious baked eggs.
How to make this recipe:
I’ll walk you quickly through this MUST TRY baked eggs in sweet potato crust recipe.
You can use regular potatoes or a combo, but if you’re a sweet potato person—don’t miss out! To make life easier, I shred my sweet potatoes in a food processor using the shredder disc. This has to be one of my favorite tools ever—it makes shredding everything a breeze.
Now once your sweet potatoes are shredded, I love to give them a gentle toss in olive oil and salt. I sometimes add some fresh thyme leaves for a nice fancy French feel to my baked eggs—but this is totally optional.
After your sweet potatoes are shredded, pack them at the bottom of your pan (either a large 9-inch pie pan, or a muffin pan, or any baking molds) and bake them for just a few minutes to soften them before adding the eggs.
Then you’ll crack a fresh egg in the centre of each mold (or crack several eggs if you’re using a large pie plate). Now I add in the secret ingredient – a tablespoon of cream per egg.
Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and add fresh thyme (optional) as a finishing touch. Your baked eggs are ready for the oven! Simple yet pure lush.
Variations on this baked eggs recipe:
These Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crusts are the sort of breakfast recipe I love sharing at cooking classes because you can make them with endless variations and flavors.
Let’s start with the crust: you can switch any shredded veggie or combo of veggies, cooked quinoa, or a simple bread base for the sweet potato.
As for the eggs, feel free to play around with flavouring the eggs. Think spice, herbs and aromatics. Add in salsa for a Mexican feel, or more cheese and herbs, or season it with some rich turmeric spice. Toss in some chopped onions, bell peppers, feta and olives for Greek-style baked eggs.
The sky’s the limit and the star is the humble miracle—the eggs.
Tips for success:
- Adding a tablespoon of cream per egg before baking takes them to the next level.
- If you are making Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crusts for a crowd—say a Holiday brunch or potluck party – use a large baking pan or my standard muffin pan.
- To be on the safe side, make sure to line up your muffin pan with baking paper.
- For a cooked and yet still slightly runny egg yolk, bake the eggs for 10 mins.
So now go ahead and take a deep breath if you’re thinking of making a divine yet simple breakfast—just make these baked eggs in sweet potato crusts and enjoy every bite of this yummy goodness! Happy Holidays!
Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crusts
This recipe for Baked Eggs in Sweet Potato Crusts is lusciously delicious, super easy, healthy and takes only 15 mins to make! Serve it on a special day for breakfast in bed or make it for a crowd for a cozy Holiday morning brunch.
For the crust:
- 2 large sweet potatoes shredded in a food processor to make 3 cups
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
For the eggs:
- 12 fresh eggs
- 12 tablespoons light table cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- **1/4 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese grated ** (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, salt, olive oil and fresh thyme.
- Take your baking molds, a 9-inch baking pan or a standard muffin pan and line them with baking paper.
- Place the sweet potato crust at the bottom of the baking molds—for individual baked eggs, measure out 1/4 cup of the sweet potatoes for each crust.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 8 mins until it softens up.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and crack the eggs on top. Crack one egg for each mold and in a tablespoon of cream per egg. Add the cream right over the egg. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme leaves.
Bake the eggs to the doneness you prefer—for a cooked and still slightly runny egg yolk, bake the eggs for 10 mins.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.