Looking for a simple cast iron skillet chicken recipe? Try my easy Mexican Chicken Skillet – tender chicken drumsticks marinated in homemade salsa, baked until crispy and served with more salsa and creamy avocado slices!
If you’re craving real Mexican flavors, this Salsa Avocado Roast Chicken Skillet recipe is a healthy one-pan chicken recipe you don’t want to miss! Chicken drumsticks are coated in salsa and spice and roasted in a cast iron skillet until the skin is crispy and meat is tender. Serve this simple roast chicken with extra salsa, avocados and corn chips for a quick paleo chicken dinner that’s loaded with flavor!
This is one of those simple roast chicken recipes which actually doesn’t need much talking about. It’s super straightforward and simple, like most Mexican-inspired dishes!
Although I have absolutely no one in my family, near or far that is Mexican, I feel I am very connected to that fresh, flavorful cuisine and I always find myself making something related to Mexican food at least once a week.
Why this recipe for Salsa Avocado Roast Chicken Skillet works:
This easy Cast Iron Skillet Roast Chicken is one of my favorite dinners, or to re-phrase, it’s the one chicken dinner my youngest will eat—so I find myself making it more often than before.
My Salsa & Avocado Roast Chicken Skillet happens to pass her test, so I stopped spicing it up like I would like to. But fear not, I will include all the spices and jalapeño chillies I used to add to the original recipe and you can go for as much or little heat as your heart desires.
How to make Salsa & Avocado Roast Chicken Skillet:
So let’s get to it, the salsa—yes you guessed it—I use this restaurant style Mexican salsa, it’s perfectly balanced in freshness and sweetness and has just enough tang and spice.
Should I say, feel free to use your favorite jarred salsa? Yes! But if you have a food processor and 10 minutes, make that restaurant style Mexican salsa and you won’t regret it!
To your ready-made or homemade salsa, we add in an extra half of red onion and 2 extra cloves of garlic, more spice—more cumin, oregano and chilli powder and more jalapeños! Now toss all this with the chicken.
My Paleo Salsa Avocado Roast Chicken Skillet then goes into the oven to roast at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. Finally, the tender cast iron skillet chicken gets covered in more salsa, arranged with sliced avocados, tomatoes and corn chips, and any other toppings you like!
Make this easy peasy Mexican roast chicken skillet today and serve it as a healthy, low carb & paleo dinner, your whole family will love!
Tips for success:
- For especially tender and flavorful chicken, marinate it in the salsa for about 3 hours, or overnight.
- Adjust the spice level to your personal taste by adding more jalapeno and chilli powder or leave it out altogether!
- Use homemade salsa to turn this Mexican dish into a clean eating and paleo chicken dinner!
Salsa Avocado Roast Chicken Skillet
Looking for a simple cast iron skillet chicken recipe? Try my easy Mexican Chicken Skillet - tender chicken drumsticks marinated in fresh Salsa, baked until crispy and served with more salsa and creamy avocado slices!
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks (or your favorite chicken parts)
- 1 batch restaurant style Mexican salsa (or your favorite jarred salsa)
- 1/2 red onion minced or pureed in a food processor
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking pan, or individual serving size cast iron skillets, with parchment paper, or just cover the bottom with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- In a large bowl, mix half of the salsa with all the ingredients and leave the other half in a separate bowl.
- Toss in the chicken pieces in the bowl of the spiced up salsa.
- You may leave this to marinate for 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- Bake the chicken for 35 minutes ( time is for these drumsticks, more or less time will depend on the cut of the chicken).
- Once the chicken is ready and crispy on the outside, top it with the remaining salsa and arrange avocado slices, tomatoes, corn chips and your favorite sides around it.